What to Include in a Car Survival Kit
At Carousel Preowned, we are proud to be a used car and automotive leader in our community. Our customers are very important to us and our customer care goes beyond purchasing a vehicle; we want you to be safe. We encourage everyone to carry a Survival Kit in their car. In an emergency, it could save your life and the lives of your passengers.
Here’s what you need in your Survival Kit:
- Windshield Scraper
- Small Broom
- Pocket Knife
- First Aid Kit
- Blanket or Sleeping Bag
- Basic Tool Kit
- Emergency Flares, Reflectors
- Fluorescent Distress Flag
- Cell Phone Adapter to Plug into Lighter
- Flashlight and Extra Batteries
- Battery Powered Radio
- Extra Socks, Hats and Mittens
- Jumper Cables
- Cell Phone
- Tow Chain or Rope
- Road Salt, Sand or Kitty Litter
- Snacks, Energy Bars
- Matches and Small Candles
- Wet Wipes
- If possible, call 911 on your cell phone. Provide your location, condition of everyone in the vehicle and the problem you’re experiencing.
- Follow instructions: you may be told to stay where you are until help arrives.
- Do not hang up until you know who you have spoken with and what will happen next.
- If you must leave the vehicle, write down your name, address, phone number and destination. Place the piece of paper inside the front windshield for someone to see.
- Avoid overexertion: Shoveling snow or pushing your car takes a lot of effort particularly in stormy conditions. Don’t risk your health or injury. That type of work can make you hot and sweaty. Wet clothing loses insulation, making you susceptible to hypothermia.
- Be easy to find: Tell someone where you are going and the route you will take.
- Fresh Air: It’s better to be cold and awake than comfortably warm and sleepy. In a winter situation, snow can plug your vehicle’s exhaust pipe. Keeping a window open a crack while running the engine is also a good idea.
- If stuck: Tie a bright or neon flag on your antenna or hang it out the window. At night, keep your dome light on. Rescue crews can see a small glow from a distance. To reduce battery drain, use emergency blinkers only if you hear approaching vehicles. If you’re with someone else, make sure at least one person is awake and keeping watch for help.
- Prepare your vehicle: When possible, take extra effort to make sure you keep your gas tank at least half full.
- Stay in your vehicle: Walking in a storm can be very dangerous. You might become lost or exhausted. Your vehicle is good shelter.
- Store items in the passenger compartment in the event the trunk is jammed or frozen shut.
Carousel Preowned serving Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, North Liberty, Marion, and Coralville, IA is proud to be an automotive leader in our community. Since opening our doors, Carousel 2 has maintained a solid commitment to you, our customers. We do our best to ensure your complete satisfaction every time you step into our car dealership. This is why we offer the widest selection of used and pre-owned Cars, Trucks, and SUVs and provide true ease of purchase in Iowa.
Date: April 6 , 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
It’s a rare person who enjoys the car buying process. More often than not, we find ourselves wondering what questions we should ask when we’re at the dealership. And when we do purchase a new car, we wonder “Did I get a good deal?”
Getting a good deal is more than just price. At Carousel Preowned, we want to help our customers be informed; help them know what questions to ask. So, we’ve compiled a list of 15 car buying questions you should ask. Some of these questions may not be applicable to your situation and there may even be more that we forgot, but it’s a start and we hope it’s helpful.
Date: Mar. 22 , 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
You’re considering purchasing a new or used car, but when it comes to the cost and your budget – what should you know about? For starters, used cars are the most affordable. The average new car can range anywhere from $20,000 to $55,000 according to Kelly Blue Book. While the average used car can range anywhere from a few thousand to the average $13,000.
Beyond the sticker price, it’s smart to get ahead of expenses like maintenance, repairs, parking, gas and more. To get a handle on your budget, determine ceilings for down payment costs, monthly payments, insurance in addition to miscellaneous expenses like parking and gas. Here’s what you need to remember when budgeting for your used car.
Date: Mar. 15 , 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
If you’re shopping for a used car, you’ll want to understand what types of used cars there are and what to look for before setting out on your search. Here’s a look at the types of used cars and what to consider.
Date: Mar. 6 , 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
You’re ready to sell your car. You have a few options, some easier than others. You can sell it on your own, privately. This will often get you the most money, however it requires a great deal of time and effort. You can use sites like Cars.com or AutoTrader, which also require time and effort. Or, you can sell your car to a dealership. Here’s what you need to know if you’re selling your car to a dealership.
Date: Feb.22 , 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
There are many reasons why buying a used car rather than a new car is a wise choice. But there are also factors that should be taken into consideration before purchasing a used car. Good mileage is one them. But how much mileage is good for a used car? Here’s what to know before purchasing a used car.
Date: Feb.1 , 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
If you're buying a used car for your teenager, here are a few things to keep in mind before you go to the dealership.
Date: Jan. 18, 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
Buying a car can be a big decision. Making the most of a test drive is a simple matter of common sense, careful observation, and knowing what to look for. Read on for how to prepare yourself for this all-important experience and what to keep track of when taking a car out for the first time.
Date: Jan. 18, 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
You’ve decided to purchase a new car – fantastic! We invite you to look at our online selection of used cars and certified pre-owned vehicles. We are confident that your dream car is here on our parking lot. As you’re looking for your vehicle, we’ve compiled a helpful checklist for you to reference to help ensure a fantastic customer experience.
Date: Jan. 11, 2018 | Category: Car Shopping
Used cars are a great option for all kinds of drivers. They offer benefits like having more options and lower prices, making them an excellent and affordable choice. If you’re considering buying a used car, read on to find out more about how Carousel Preowned can help.
Date: Dec. 29, 2017 | Category: Car Shopping
When you decide to purchase a car, truck or SUV from a Carousel 2, you’ve made a good decision. Shopping at Carousel 2 ensures that you’ll obtain a high-quality automobile that has already met our high standards. Read about a few benefits you can experience when you shop with us in Iowa.
Date: Dec. 19, 2017 | Category: Car Shopping
Buying your first car can seem a little daunting. There are many makes and models to choose from with a variety of features. It can be difficult to sort through the options and find the best car for you. Consider these ten tips before you buy a car.
Date: Nov. 13, 2017 | Category: Car Shopping
If you are looking to buy a car for yourself or a family member, consider purchasing a used car instead of a new car. Carousel Preowned is a trusted used car dealer, and we believe that our high-quality used cars will fulfill your transportation needs.
Date: Feb. 13, 2017 | Category: Honda Fit
The 2015 Honda Fit EX-L in Iowa City is making a splash in the economy car market, redefining the way these cars handle and look. This five-person hatchback offers plenty of character on the inside, and a fun performance wherever your journeys take you. It delivers on all points, from a spacious interior to an impressive fuel economy...
Date: Feb. 7, 2017 | Category: Chevrolet Malibu LT
The 2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT in Iowa City is a great vehicle to take out with the family, given its reliability and cargo space. It offers plenty of safety and entertainment features as well to ensure every passenger has a good time on long-distance trips...
Date: Feb. 1, 2017 | Category: Dodge Journey RT
Cruising down different roads can be epic every time when inside the refined 2015 Dodge Journey RT, a timeless SUV designed for today’s modern world. Its interior is fit for a queen and king, and the exterior drops jaws in any setting. Take this SUV out for long-distance trips with the family or daily commutes. It is ready when you are...
Date: Jan. 25, 2017 | Category: Dodge Journey RT
Perhaps one of the most competitive markets in the automotive industry is the SUV crossover segment. Despite this, the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander SE soars above its SUV competitors with its commendable fuel-economy, tech-oriented features, and long-lasting parts. It is designed for the roads less traveled and busy cities, making it a versatile SUV to add to your collection...