April is National Car Care Month
April is National Car Care Month, a time to bring attention to the importance of preparing your car for spring driving and summer road trips. The Car Care Council, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating motorists about the importance of regular vehicle care, maintenance and repair, recognizes National Car Care Month twice a year, every April and October, to call attention to the importance of car care and preventive maintenance in the spring and in the fall.
As winter comes to an end, your car will welcome a thorough bath to wash away salt and grime build up during the winter. You also need to check your engine, suspension, windshield wipers, tires and brakes for issues that may have occurred due to harsh winter conditions.
Here is a car care ‘to do’ list of some basic maintenance procedures suggested by the Car Care Council to keep your car operating at its best in the spring and into the summer:
- Check the oil, filters and fluids. Oil should be changed per the owner’s manual recommended intervals. Brake, transmission, power steering, coolant and windshield washer fluids should also be checked regularly. Your car’s filters, including those for the transmission, fuel system and interior ventilation, need regular inspection and replacement.
- Replace hoses if leaking, brittle, cracked, rusted, swollen or restricted. Check V-belts and serpentine belts for looseness, cracks and excessive wear. Typically replace the timing belt between 60,000 and 90,000 miles or the interval specified in the owner’s manual to avoid a breakdown or engine damage.
- Check the engine brake system and have the brake linings, rotors and drums inspected.
- Check that the battery connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free.
- Inspect the exhaust system for leaks, damage and broken supports.
- Check the car’s heating, ventilating and air conditioning system for interior comfort and for safety reasons, such as defrosting.
- Inspect the steering and suspension system, including shock absorbers and struts, and chassis parts, such as ball joints, tie rod ends and other related components.
- Check the pressure of all tires, including the spare, at least once a month. Check the tread for uneven or irregular wear and cuts and bruises along the sidewalls. Check your car’s alignment to reduce tire wear and improve fuel economy and handling.
- Test exterior and interior lights and replace bulbs that are not working. Replace windshield wiper blades when cracked, torn, or streaking.
When in the market for a used car, stop by Carousel Preowned. Carousel Preowned serving Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, North Liberty, Marion, and Coralville, IA, is proud to be an automotive leader in our community. We do our best to ensure your complete satisfaction every time you step into our car dealership. This is why we offer the widest selection of used and pre-owned cars, trucks, and SUVs and provide true ease of purchase in Iowa.