Don’t Let Anyone Steal Your Vehicle
Every 40.9 seconds, a motor vehicle is stolen in the U.S. In areas like Des Moines and Cedar Rapids there are more cars, trucks and other vehicles stolen than in smaller towns. In fact, Iowa ranks 37th, with 4,687 motor vehicles stolen in 2018, according to a ValuePenguin analysis on “2021 Motor Vehicle Statistics”.
The most stolen cars in Iowa include the Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge Pickups, Honda Accord and Ford Taurus. Don’t let your car be one of them!
Unless you have comprehensive car insurance, which covers a stolen vehicle, having your car stolen can cause lots of grief in money and time. You’ll have to contact police immediately to file a stolen vehicle report and you must contact your insurance company to file a claim within 24 hours of your vehicle being stolen.
Here are some ways to prevent vehicle theft:
- Always lock your vehicle and take your keys when you get out. This is common sense, but between 2016 and 2018, there were 229,339 cases of vehicle theft resulting from keys being left in vehicles.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area, preferably on a parking lot which is equipped with security cameras.
- Install an alarm system that makes a loud noise. This will bring attention to any attempt to steal your vehicle.
- Installing a steering-wheel lock and/or auto theft-deterrent warning decals can help deter thieves.
- Install an anti-theft system in your car. These devices can immobilize the vehicle and disable the flow of fuel to the engine. There are also devices that can reveal the location of your stolen vehicle and can help law enforcement possibly catch the car thief.
When in the market for a used car, stop by Carousel Preowned. CarouselPreowned serving Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, North Liberty, Marion, and Coralville, IA, is proud to be an automotive leader in our community. We do our best to ensure your complete satisfaction every time you step into our car dealership. This is why we offer the widest selection of used and pre-owned cars, trucks, and SUVs and provide true ease of purchase in Iowa.