Fun Facts You May Not Know About Cars
Greg Macke, a professional car buyer and consumer advocateshared a number of interesting car facts on the www.yourcarangel.comwebsite. Here are some of them and other fun car facts that might pique the interest of some car afficionados.
- A car uses 1.6 ounces of gas idling for one minute. It takes half an ounce to start the average vehicle, so if you will be idling your car for more than 30 seconds, you should turn off your engine because idling uses more fuel than turning off your engine and restarting it.
- The first speeding ticket was issued in Dayton, Ohio to Harry Myers while driving on West Third Street. His was cited for going twelve miles per hour in 1904.
- According to Science Focus, if you travel by car at 60 miles per hour, it would take you less than six months to , you could get to the moon by car.
- The term “General Purpose Vehicle” or a G.P. was used for the popular four-wheel drive vehicle used during World War II. “Eugene the Jeep” was a popular character in the 1936 Popeye comic strip series and the only sound Eugene made was “jeep,” which now has become the commonly used term for this type of vehicle.
- In 1930, the Galvin Corporation introduced one of the first commercial car radios, the Motorola model 5T71, which sold for between $110 and $130, but according to the American Safety Council, when the car radio was introduced, some states wanted to ban it, because they felt the car radio could distract drivers and cause accidents. Laws to fully ban car radios were proposed in Massachusetts and Missouri in the 1930s. Legislators in New York, New Jersey, Ohio, and Illinois proposed steep fines for car radio usage, as well.
- Hong Kong is regarded the city with the highest number of Rolls Royces in the world per capita, and according to the Guiness World Records, Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei is believed to have the largest private collection in the world, numbering around 500 Rolls-Royces. In fact, during the 1990s, his family accounted for almost half of all Rolls-Royce purchases. His entire car collection is believed to be worth around $4 billion and includes a Porsche Carrera GT, Lamborghini Diablo Jota, Porsche 959, Bugatti EB110, Lamborghini Murcielago LP640, Maybach 62, Jaguar XJR-15, six Dauer 962ssix Ferrari FX, the original red show model of the Bentley Continental R, two fully operational versions of the Ferrari Mythos concept car, both of the Ferrari 456 GT Sedans, the only right-hand drive Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR in the world, five McLaren F1s and three Cizeta-Moroder V16T cars. He also possesses a Formula One car as driven by every Formula 1 World Drivers Champion since the 1980 Formula One season.
When in the market for a used car, stop by Carousel Preowned. Carousel Preowned serving Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, North Liberty, Marion, and Coralville, IA, is proud to be an automotive leader in our community. We do our best to ensure your complete satisfaction every time you step into our car dealership. This is why we offer the widest selection of used and pre-owned cars, trucks, and SUVs and provide true ease of purchase in Iowa.